sidebar

NEWVILLE APARTMENTS
Newville, Pennsylvania

return to projects »

This project includes demolition, new construction and general renovations of three buildings in Newville, Pennsylvania. The St. Paul Lutheran Church, built in 1900, is historically significant for its Gothic Revival exterior design and elaborate stained glass windows. Renovations included four new residential units at the second floor along with the addition of an exterior access stair to the north side of the church.

Literary Hall, built in 1854, is a prominent Greek revival structure originally the home of Shippensburg University. Six new residential units were added on the second and third floors along with a new entry vestibule, and new commercial spaces on the first floor.

The attached row home, located at the north side of Literary Hall was saved from imminent collapse with a state of the art mortar injection process. All the architectural elements (window sash and storefront elements) from the adjacent demolished row home were salvaged and incorporated in the rehabilitation of the structure.

Site work includes supplemental parking with a low privacy wall contoured to the property line. Work on the exterior of the existing buildings included painting of exterior brick, new and restored windows and trim; repair and painting the cornice; and restoration of the storefront facades. Construction was completed in the spring of 2012.