sidebar

BARNES & NOBLE at BUCKNELL UNIVERSITY
Lewisburg, Pennsylvania

return to projects »

Formerly the C. Dreisbach & Sons Hardware Store, the existing structure was built in 1942 in Lewisburg, PA. Program improvements for Barnes & Noble included the installation of a new kitchen, café and dining area, retail spaces, shipping and receiving spaces, offices and restrooms. Other improvements included new windows, a new storefront and entry canopy constructed using a combination of steel, aluminum, wood and glass, and the dramatic introduction of the 3-story skylight. Several other notable features of the structure were also preserved, including the original Otis freight elevator, re-imagined as a children’s reading area.

Many of the existing architectural elements, including the interior and exterior brick walls, the steel and wood windows, the steel trusses and the interior kalamine doors, were all carefully hand restored.

Project Awards

Citation Award, AIA Central Pennsylvania Chapter, 2010
Excellence in Construction Award, Associated Builders & Contractors Central Pennsylvania Chapter, 2009